Xian best place to visiting

Xian Ancient City Wall
Xian Ancient City Wall is the most complete city wall survived in China as well as one of the largest ancient military defensive systems in the world. The wall was built in the Tang dynasty (618 -907) and enlarged in the Ming dynasty (1368-1644). The construction of the Xian City was formally started in the seventh year of Emperor Hongwu reign (1374) and completed in the eleventh year of Hongwu reign (1378). After its completion, the circumference of the city wall was 13.75 kilometers long in an oblong shape. Its height is 12 meters; its top is 12-14 meters wide and its base, 15-18 meters wide.
The Shaanxi Provincial Museum
This roomy, modern museum contains over 370,000 relicss chronicling Shaanxi civilization and culture from as far as prehistoric times. The collection is strong in ceramics, bronzes, jade pieces, gold and silver items, ancient coins, and calligraphy mainly from the pre-ming periods.
Bell Tower

Bell Tower is the most well-preserved and best-known one among many ancient cities of China. The Bell Tower was originally built in the Yingxiang Temple in 1384, at the intersection of West Street and Guangji Street. Then in 1582, it was moved to its present pivotal position, in the very heart of the city at the junction of four main streets extending to the east, south, west and north, for rebuilding and later restorations. With magnificent carved beams and painted rafters, this classical building is truly elegant.

Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses

The Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses are the most significant archeological excavations of the20th century. It has been regarded as THE 8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD!
Over 2,200 years ago,the first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang in search of immortality, ordered the construction of a vast army of 8,000 life-sized Terra Cotta warriors and buried with him to protect his empire after his early death. They were discovered accidentally in 1974 by farmers digging a well. For history lovers, the sight is truly breathtaking.

Big Wild Goose Pagoda

The Big Wild Goose Pagoda, one of the main constructions in the famous Buddhist temple-Da-Ci-En Temple is situated at south of the Xian city. The pagoda is one of the most distinctive and outstanding landmarks for Xian.
Known as the best-preserved Buddhist temple complex, the Da-Ci-En Temple was initially built in 589, during the Sui Dynasty (581-618), named as Wulou Temple. Later in AD 647 of the Tang Dynasty, the temple was rebuilt in memory of Empress Wende- the mother of Emperor Tang Gaozong. The temple subsequently gained its present name.
In AD 652, the Big Goose Pagoda was built to store the sutras and the figurines of Buddha, which were brought from India by a famous Buddhist translator and traveler Tang Sanzang, also known by his Buddhist name as Xuanzang. The Big Goose Pagoda is a brick-tower architecture, with a height of 64 meters (210 miles), occupies a base 25 meters by 25 meters (82 feet) square. Its walls and doors are carved with vivid and exquisite figures of Buddha, reflecting the profundity in the paintings of the Tang Dynasty.

Little Wild Goose Pagoda

The Little Wild Goose Pagoda is located in the Jianfu Temple. The pagoda gets its name because it is smaller than the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, although it is more stories high and more important in the architecture history. It was completed in 709 A.D., when Buddhism was firmly established in China. It was built to store the sutras and the figurines of Buddha, which were brought back from India by a famous Buddhist monk named Yijing. It is said that the Little Wild Goose Pagoda had lost several stories during an earthquake in the 1500s. However, it still looks complete. It has finer detailing in the brickwork than the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. Above the arched doorways on the first tier are Tang engravings of ivy designs and Buddhist figures. The pagoda is part of a temple complex and monastery. It is also possible to climb to the top of this structure.

Qianling Tomb

About 80 kilometers west of Xian situated on Liangshan Hill, Qianling was the joint tomb of Emperor Tang Gaozong (Li Zhi, 628 A.D.-683 A.D.) and Empress Wu Zetian (624 A.D.-705 A.D.), the only Empress in Chinese history.
Qianling Tomb was built in 684 AD. According to the records, the inner city, about 240 square meters, followed the rectangular layout of Changan city with the gates on the four sides named: the Phoenix (south gate), the Tortoise (north), the Black Dragon (east) and the White Tiger (west). The city comprises the inner city and the outer. Many splendid buildings such as dedicatory halls and gate towers were built.

Huaqing Hot Springs

Huaqing Hot Springs are located 35 kilometers east of Xian city at the foot of the Lishan Mountain in a large park where there are a number of public baths and some modern palaces built in the Tang style. The hot springs, rich in minerals, were highly regarded more than 3000 years ago. The Tang Emperor Xuanzong often spent the winter here in the company of his favorite concubine, Yang Guifei. Shortly afterwards, however, all the buildings were destroyed by war. The new baths constructed in 1956 include one called the Bath of Yang Guifei ( Guifei - Honorable Concubine).

Drum Tower

Built during the Ming dynasty (1380 A.D.), the Drum Tower is located to the north of West Street. It is a very solemn and magnificent classical building within Xian city. Its blue brick foundation covers an area of 1804,3 square meters. The wooden tower itself has two stories with three layers of eaves, each story having seven rooms and a green glazed tile roof. Originally, above the southern eave there was a plaque with the inscription, Splendid Civil and Military Place" in big letters, and above the northern eave there was a plaque inscribed Sound Can Be Heard in the Sky in gold letters.
The Drum Tower is smaller than the Bell Tower. However, it is just southeast of the Great Mosque and marks the entrance to the Moslem quarter of Xian.

Forest of Stone Steles Museum

Forest of Stone Steles Museum was initially established in AD 1087 when some precious stone steles were moved here for safe keeping. With an area of 31,000 square meters, it has collections of more than 1000 stone steles dated from Han to Qing Dynasties (From 206 B.C to 1911 A.D) in Chinese history. Its contents can be divided into four groups: works of literature and philosophy, historical records, calligraphy and pictorial stones.

Banpo Neolithic Village Museum

The museum is situated at the east bank of the Chang River and in the north of Banpo Village on the eastern outskirts of Xian City?which was built on the Banpo Site in 1957 and formally opened to the public in 1958. It is the State key cultural object under protection. Banpo Site is a comparatively integrated commune village site rather typical of the matriarchy (a Neolithic site of the Yangshao Culture at Banpo Village on the eastern outskirts of Xian) in the Yellow River Valley that was about 6000 years ago. Banpo had about 500 people lived in the village. Visitors today can see the remains of 45 houses, 2 stables, more than 200 cellars, 6 kilns, and about 250 graves.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Go Home >

Copyright reserved by John's information service & café on the silk road and in Tibet,Contact to Us:

johncafe@hotmail.cominfo@johncafe.net
Tel:0086-998-2581186 Fax:0086-998-2580096